Rare cheesecake is the Japanese term for no bake cheesecake. As the name implies, no oven is required for this cake and gelatin is used to harden the filling. This cake is normally served chilled with fruity toppings.
Adapted from 基本がわかるやさしいお菓子
Ingredients (for 18cm round springform pan)
10 pcs McVities digestive biscuits
40g unsalted butter
1-2 tbsp caster sugar
250g cream cheese
80g caster sugar
A (200g plain yoghurt, 2 tsp lemon juice, 1 dash of vanilla essence/extract)
200mL pouring cream
5g gelatin powder (mix with 3 tbsp cold water, stand for 5 minutes)
1 pkt strawberry jelly mix
1) If you own a food processor/blender, crush the digestive biscuits finely. If you don't, put the digestive biscuits inside a ziplock bag, imagine your worst enemy, and start demolishing the biscuits until they form fine crumbs.
2) Melt butter in the microwave (~20 seconds), add the melted butter and caster sugar to the crushed biscuits and mix well. Press the base ingredients to the base of an 18cm springform pan with the back of a spoon evenly, cover with clingwrap, and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
3) Place cream cheese in a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer in high speed, beat the cream cheese until it reaches the consistency of smooth cream.
4) Add caster sugar to 3), beat with an electric mixer until well mixed and the colour turns pale. Next, add A to the bowl and mix well.
5) Add half of the pouring cream (100mL) to 4), mix well with an electric mixer in low speed.
6) Heat the remaining pouring cream (100mL) in a small saucepan. Remove from heat once it starts boiling. Add the gelatin mix to the cream and stir until the gelatin dissolves completely.
7) Pour 6) into 5), and mix well in low speed with an electric mixer.
8) Strain 7) to another bowl to reach a smooth consistency. Use a spatula/spoon to push the mixture through a strainer.
9) Take 2) out from the fridge and pour 8) gently into the springform pan. Chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
10) After the filling has set, make the jelly according to the packet instructions. Pour the jelly mix slowly once it slightly cools off (before the jelly sets!) on top of the filling in the springform pan. Return to the fridge to chill for another hour or so.
11) Remove the sides of the pan when you are ready to devour it. Serve chilled.