Friday, October 1, 2010

Malay Chinese takeaway

It has been more than 2 months since my first post! *gasps*

The more photos that pile up from various restaurants that I have been to, the lazier I get to update this so-called blog. Anyhow, I should start with my favourite laksa in Sydney.

Coming from South East Asian background, I can safely say that the laksa from Malay Chinese takeaway is THE most authentic one I have tried so far in Sydney (and I have tried quite a number of them!).

Chicken laksa ($8.70) with extra vegetables ($1)

I ordered chicken laksa with skin (I love my chicken skin and the juicy fats underneath nomnom) with a bit of vegies in a measly attempt to make it slightly healthier. The broth was very flavoursome with a right amount of spiciness. Most laksa from other places use too much coconut cream/milk that overpowers the taste of the actual laksa soup base. The chicken pieces were nice and tender, but the tofu was the star of the dish! The spongy tofu were completely soaked with the soup and became these pieces of awesomeness. I could eat a bowl of just the tofu and the soup.

As it's located in the heart of CBD, it gets pretty crowded at lunch time. I find it cute that they sell the apron like shield that protects your suits from the food. Wouldn't wanna attend a corporate meeting with laksa all over your shirt I guess? For those working away from the city, this place is closed early at night for dinner (7.30pm) so get there early!

Malay-Chinese takeaway
Shop 1, 50-58 Hunter St
Sydney NSW 2000
(02) 9231 6788

2 comments:

  1. Like you, I have been hunting down places for the best laksa, but in Melbourne. I'd love to try this when I get over to Sydney at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @celeste: You should check this place out when you get to Sydney. I would love to see what Melb has to offer too ;)

    ReplyDelete